In 1807, President Thomas Jefferson signed a bill for the "Survey of the Coast," thus establishing the U.S. Coast Survey, the beginning of the oldest scientific agency in the U.S. Government. In 1878, it was renamed the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Initially, the U.S. Coast Survey was part of the Department of the Treasury. In 1904, it was transferred to the Department of Commerce and Labor, and in 1970 it became an office within NOAA.
The following table summarizes the publication history of the annual reports of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey from 1837 to 1965. These reports and their appendices contain articles and reports on the many scientific and technological activities of the Coast Survey. A bibliography to the reports' appendices can be found here.
To display an annual report, click on the drop-down list located within the table to choose the year, then click the "View Report" button. Articles are in PDF format and require the free Adobe Reader.
The Library also provides access to The Coast and Geodetic Survey Annual Reports 1844-1910 Bibliography of Appendices, which provides author and subject access to the articles found in the appendices. This bibliography is available online.
Funding for the digitization of the reports was provided by the NOAA Climate Database Modernization Program (CDMP) , National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC.
Please credit the NOAA Central Library Data Imaging Project when using these reports.
If you have questions or comments concerning the reports, or need further assistance, please contact:
Library.Reference@noaa.gov, 301-713-2600 ext. 157.